On 18/08/05, Stephen Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Brad Beyenhof <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> They didn't just "try to ensure cross-compatibility." According to
>> Steve Jobs in this year's WWDC keynote, there have been fully-compiled
>> and fully-functioning Intel builds of OSX as far back as 10.0.
>
> And, in fact, probably before.  Before the merger, the Mach
> underpinnings under OpenStep were released by NeXT for both Motorola
> and Intel architectures, and I seem to recall hearing that the early
> Rhapsody builds were also Intel-capable within Apple.

Well, OSX seems basically to be an updated version of NeXTSTEP with
some cross-pollination of Classic MacOS features. I actually didn't
realize this until the other day (I've never actually seen a NeXT
system in operation) when I saw this 1992 video of Steve Jobs
demonstrating NeXTSTEP 3.0:
http://esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/graphics/movies/jobs_NS30_demo_large.mov

(This movie is part of a large collection of Apple promos,
commercials, and other interesting tidbits at
http://esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/movies.html )

--
Brad Beyenhof
[EMAIL PROTECTED]