On 27 Aug 2005 at 20:13, dhbailey wrote:

> Aaron Sherber wrote:
> > At 05:28 PM 8/27/2005, Henry E. Howey wrote:
> >  >I hope the too-long problems are gone.
> >
> > Thanks for taking care of this, Henry.
> >
> > (For anyone who's interested, the list should now be setting
> > Reply-To to finale@shsu.edu -- and *only* that.)
>
> Yes, even if you hit Reply-All because you specifically want to ensure
> that the reply goes directly to the person asking because you know
> he/she is only on the digest.
>
> Whatever happened to having the Reply behavior be:
> REPLY = reply to list only

You're now talking about the specific implementation of reply
functions in a particular email client. Mine, Pegasus Mail, pops up a
dialog listing all the addresses in the header and allows you to
check off the specific ones you want to send to (and it's sticky, so
the checks for one message continue in the next reply). This makes it
extremely easy to selectively reply to different addresses.

Also, there's a great variety of where the addresses appear in the
headers of different posters, because different email clients handle
it differently and the listserv just passes through what you've done
(if you CC the list includes it in the header).

> Now we have to work the other way, if we want specifically to include
> the original poster in the reply.

Is this a complaint? It seems to me to be the correct way to do
things, that you should reply to the list only, since every
subscriber to the list will get a copy. CC'ing the sender in addition
to the list seems rude, in my opinion, as then the individual gets
two copies (unless the listserv function that attempts to eliminate
duplicates works), and they don't always come together, and the CC
copy doesn't always indicate that the message was also sent to the
list. The result of this is that when I receive email from an
individual instead of from the list, I basically ignore it, on the
the theory that it's a duplicate of a list post, and I won't want to
reply to the individual because the reply maybe should go to the
list.

Many people are that it's good to send both just to be sure the
person you're replying to gets your message. Personally, I don't
think my replies are so incredibly urgent and important that the
person I'm replying to needs two copies of the message.

The one exception where it does make sense is for the Digest
subscriber who needs an urgent reply. In those cases, I'd think the
Digest subscriber should explicitly request CC copies because of
being on Digest -- I don't think one should just assume that everyone
wants the CC copy.

I don't really think it's the job of the person replying to worry
about whether the person they are replying to is on Digest or not. If
it's important to the person being replied to, they should make it
clear. Otherwise, replying to the list should be the default behavior
and the one that is least annoying for everyone.