On 04.09.2005 23:52 Uhr David W. Fenton wrote:
"Closer to" is not the point -- the point is that 415 as the choice for the lower pitch is not justified by historical evidence but by modern practicality because A440 is the standard pitch and using a lower pitch 1/2 step lower was an easy solution.

David,

415 Hz is actually _very_ close to what they had in Leipzig for church music. If I get a chance I will look it up tomorrow, I believe MGG lists a lot of important pitches taken from organs, plus other evidence, but I haven't got it at hand here.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de