As long as we're talking about this, there's a question I've wondered about for years that maybe someone on this list knows the answer to:

Is collaging fair usage? Specifically, consider Berio's *Sinfonia*, which quotes numerous copyrighted works without any notice of written permission to use any of them.

I'm not talking about outright parody, wh. is definitely fair usage in the US, but merely the use of recognizable fragments of copyrighted works in a patchwork to make something new. The various court cases involving sampling would strongly suggest that such practices are *not* fair usage--but then how explain the Berio?

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/