9 Sep 2005 at 13:40, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> Also, for panning, instead of absolute MIDI
> controller values, Finale should use percentages (e.g. 33% L, 67% R)
> like, oh, I don't know, EVERY OTHER APPLICATION THAT LETS YOU SET
> PANNING.

As an option, I cn understand, but as the only way to set pan, I
think that's a bad idea.

I don't relaly care what other sequencers do, as I'm not using other
sequencers. While I agree that similar applications can be easier to
use when there are common UI conventions, those conventions can also
make the program opaque to those who have never used those
applications. The Sibelios playback controls are a typical example of
this. They work with the spacebar convention, which I'd encountered
in Finale, but which is something I very seldom use (it doesn't fit
my mental model of how playback should be initiated in a musical
score).

There shold alsays be alternate methods of accomplishing a task for
those who may not have the conventions learned yet.

And percent for pan makes little sense to me. It's so incredibly
wrong-headed for pan that I find it hard to even explain why.
Basically, it's applying a fractional metaphor to something that is
an absolute position.

It reminds me of the classic statistical error where a survey assigns
a number for race, then averages the number to come up with an
average race for the survey population.

It's innumerate.

It's unmusical.

And it should not be changed in Finale unless it's an alternate
method for representing pan settings, not the only method.