On 13 Sep 2005 at 15:53, Chuck Israels wrote:

> Also, my impression is that there is an order of magnitude fewer
> choices (variables) when one is limited to producing only an
> accompanying part.  Things seem to get more problematic as more
> attention is needed on the "surface' of the music, and programmed,
> mechanical, spontaneity falls short of resembling human expression,
> at least so far, in my experience.

But I think that's precisely what's wrong with the Wolfram algorithm
-- it entirely fails to account for the differences in styles in
regard to melody and accompaniment. Because it seems to be generating
everything at once, it's more polyphonic in its results than almost
all of the styles typically should be. For most styles, it ought to
compose a melody line first and then create an accompaniment for it,
whereas it sounds to me like in all the styles it's pretty much
randomly choosing all the parts simultaneously, with a very small
number of parameters specific to each style (certain rhythms and
instruments seem to be associated with particular styles).

That seems to me to be the reason why the results are so completely
underwhelming. Indeed, they all sound rather the same to me, and some
of the results from one style sound more like one of the other styles
(though that's not always the case).

The folks who wrote the algorithm seem to me not to know enough about
musical style(s) to be able to design something that will produce
reasonable results. They seem to go more for variety and near
randomness and ignore harmony almost exclusively, instead of
recognizing that music in a particular style is very *conventional*
rather than random.