On 15 Sep 2005 at 9:35, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have a frustrating problem with the Ossia tool.
>
> The source measure contains
> the following: e  e  q(tie)e  8th rest e  e
>
> The first four notes are slurred, as are the last two.
>
> When I create the ossia, it strips the tie and the slurs.
>
> Is this a bug, or have I missed something?

I don't know why the Ossia tool doesn't display the tie and slurs,
but that appears to be the way it works. I tested in WinFin 2003 and
the 2005 demo, and both omitted the tie and slurs.

I have mostly found the Ossia tool useless, and this is one of the
reasons why. It's also remarkably obtuse, requiring that you indicate
the source staff by number, even though the only place you can see
the staff numbers are in staves with no staff name defined or by
using the Staff Usage dialog, which does not inidicate the name of
the staves with names.

This is the kind of thing that drives people to use Sibelius, because
it's a completely unnecessary complication of UI -- you should be
able to simply point and click at the measure you want as the source
for the Ossia.

And that it doesn't actually include essential musical elements like
ties and slurs shows that it just wasn't designed well, seems to me.
Why would you want the Ossia tool to not display everything in the
musical text of the source measure? It's obvious why you might not
display key signatures or time signatures or bar lines, because those
are not the musical content and can easily be inferred from context.
But the other things just don't make sense to be omitted, though the
*option* to omit them might be nice (as you have an option to omit
expressions, for instance).

I suspect that this is one of those neglected tools that has always
been so badly designed that everyone gives up on it, and MakeMusic
never hears any requests for fixing it, since it's so useless that
nobody ever wants to bother to ask them to make it work right.

I think most people use embedded graphics (EPS on Mac and TIF on
Windows) for this purpose.

Yes, no, maybe?