On Sep 21, 2005, at 9:03 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

So far as I know the usual approach for this is to put the soprano in
layer 1 and the alto in layer 2 (same for tenor/bass). The default
layer options set layer 1 stems up when there are notes in layer 2,
and layer 2 stems down. By default, rests are also bumped up or down,
but I often turn that off because when the same value rest is in both
voices, I like to have a single rest, normally centered, instead of
two rests one above the other.

I like to leave the rest option as is. Then wherever the same value rest is in both voices, I type asterisk in each layer to re-center them.

And to BillSincl, yes, David is right. The trick you want is to use separate layers. They're set up for exactly the situation you're talking about.

mdl