On 23 Sep 2005 at 14:13, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> On 23 Sep 2005, at 1:59 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > 2. not always satisfactory: I prefer longer trills to start out slow
> > and speed up, but HP has them measured and regular.
>
> No it doesn't, actually. In most situations, HP trills start slow and
> speed up, just like you want. (More control over this would be nice,
> though -- like a slider to control the amount of speedup in slow-to-
> fast trills.)

Well, the default speedup wasn't appropriate for the music I was
working with. That is, it didn't start slowly enough, though it ended
up OK.

And, of course, it's a one-size-fits-all approach, whereas music
needs different types of trills in different situations. There is no
provision in HP for the type of long appoggiatura trill that is quite
common in all sorts of music.

[]

> > 3. not always defined: I mentioned turns above, and one of the
> > annoyances of HP there is that only one turn symbol, the one in
> > Finale's own fonts, is recognized as a turn.
>
> That's not actually true either -- see the Finale documentation for a
> list of recognized turns.

I don't have full Finale, only the Finale 2005 demo, so I don't have
any documentation for that. What I found was that it wasn't smart
enough to realize the turns in *my* files.

> If there are features you would like future versions of HP to
> implement, you should email Robert PiƩchaud directly.
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Well, most of the features I'd like implemented are in MakeMusic's
side of the equation, i.e., in providing an interface to defining how
HP playback is defined. It's less of an issue to me what HP does or
does not realize as it is an issue that it won't be as useful as
possible until there's more user control over it.