On Sep 27, 2005, at 7:10 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

Well, that prompts a thought. Why not make the first note a tuplet,
but a 16th note in the time of three 32nds? Then with the MIDI tool,
reduce the duration by 1/3.

Would that actually work?

Have you tried this yet? Sounds to me like it would work, so long as you're still changing the time signature to make the measure that extra 32nd note long.

It never occurred to me to use nonsensical tuplet definitions for
this.

It actually didn't occur to me either, at least not directly. I was thinking in terms of the invisible, inaudible note, and the tuplet was just an afterthought to make the extra flag go away.

I'll be curious to know if this tuplet trick works. If it does, I think it's better than any of the other methods either of us came up with alone.

Not only that, but I think with this method you no longer need the MIDI tool at all. If you're doing the note this way, then I see no reason not to go back to the idea that someone else in this thread mentioned and create an invisible articulation with playback definition to reduce the duration by 1/3. Then you could assign it to a metatool for quick entry. (For that matter, you could make the articulation visible, if you want to show some sort of comma for the phrase break.)

Not only is this more efficient, I think; it's also less kludgy and more conceptually related to the real-world purpose. All of your Speedy entry is the notes as they'll appear, exactly as if you weren't adapting the playback at all. Then it's a three-step process: (1) Change the time signature of the measure to accommodate the additional time space; (2) Tuplet the phrase-ending note to make it expand to fill the extra time; (3) Apply the articulation to the phrase-ending note to tell it not to sound all the way through it's now expanded time allotment. That's pretty logical.

mdl

P.S. I assume you already figured this out, but when changing the time signature if you do it as compound -- eg, 9/32 + 3/4, as opposed to just 33/32 -- I believe that saves you trouble with the beaming, as well as better documenting your intent for when you come back to look at the file a year later.