Darcy James Argue wrote:
[snip]
The only caveat I mentioned was that you probably didn't want to set Fin2006 to autosave _every minute_ because that vastly increases the likelihood that when all of the entries in your file are mysteriously erased, autosave might kick in before you had a chance to close the file, thus ruining your autosave backup. It's true in this case you could simply revert to your most recent manual backup -- but of course, you could do that with autosave off, too.

I'm not sure what the time frame for Autosaves has to do with anything -- this lost-data-bug could rear its ugly head with one second to go before any autosave, whether the interval be 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 1 hour, whatever.

Unless I keep a stopwatch running after each Autosave, I, for one, won't have any clue how close to the next Autosave I am.

So for those of us who leave AutoSave turned off and simply train ourselves to use ctrl-s frequently (but not so frequently that it becomes a twitch that happens after each edit) we still will have more control over avoidance of such a data-destroying bug.

--
David H. Bailey