Very useful advice, Keith!

Most advanced clarinet players learn to read from concert pitch at some point in their careers, so if they can also manage to learn bass clef this is a logical next step for bass clarinet. It's very practical for them to get that in early.

I try to teach high school trombone and euphonium players to read all clefs and as many transpositions as practical, too. For example - F horn transposition can be very useful for a euphonium or trombone player. If one goes around to community groups waiting for a part labeled and transposed just for their instrument before they can play, they will often be left out. (One can also save a gig for those first hectic minutes when another guy's car has broken down somewhere. etc...)

Raymond Horton
Bass Trombonist
Louisville Orchestra

keith helgesen wrote:

Some years ago, as a high school band teacher, I required my two bass clari
players to read transposed Bass Clari parts (up 9th) and *concert pitch*
bass clef. Neither was impressed at the time!

However, both have contacted me several times now they are adults, thanking
me for this.
One does Musical Theatre shows all the time- and as she says, can cover
bassoon, cello, trombone, bass or even read the bottom stave of a piano
part. Very useful to a small community theatre group. Covers a multitude of
non-available players!

The other plays in one of the many small town community concert bands here
in Oz, and is always being asked to cover, or bump-up bassoons, troms, euphs
etc.
He is never short of a part to play if there's no bass clari part- unlike
most who end up playing tenor sax parts- usually totally wrong register!

It may not be standard practice, but I have yet to find a downside to it!

Cheers Keith in OZ

Keith Helgesen.
Director of Music, Canberra City Band.
Ph: (02) 62910787. Band Mob. 0439-620587
Private Mob 0417-042171