On Oct 22, 2005, at 10:38 AM, Andrew Stiller wrote:

On Oct 21, 2005, at 8:30 PM, Chuck Israels wrote:

 if your work was meaningful to you, and had your own inner logic driving it, it should be possible to reconstruct it.  You can't get the time back, but you can take advantage of the problem to reexamine your work.

I would like  to second this. I have found that whenever I have lost work, for whatever reason and in whatever amount, the reconstruction of it goes some 60% to 70% faster than the original work did.

I once lost 100 pages of a complex ballet score that had taken me two months to prepare, but that took only two weeks to reproduce.

I wouldn't wish this kind of loss on anyone, and it's never less than deeply frustrating, but I do find that, in my own case, if the work was well conceived, I can get a grip on the thinking that produced it.  Reproducing it provides a chance to rethink and maybe improve it.  I don't think I lose spontaneity in this process.  Giving a convincing illusion of spontaneity can take a lot of hard work and preparation in the first place.

Anyway, this kind of loss is going to happen from time to time, and head banging gets me no positive results, so all I can do is take the opportunity to try doing better in the reconstruction than I did in the first place.  Not much fun, but things have often turned out alright after one of these losses.

Chuck

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836