Aaron Sherber / 2005/11/05 / 05:37 PM wrote:
>You can do that. The Win2K CD allows you to format a partition as NTFS.

Well, true, but the problem comes before that.  Even though my Win2KJP
installer CD is bootable, it is still DOS, meaning it won't see the
current NTFS partition.  The D: is FAT32 because I save C: image on D:
(usually but not on this Thinkpad yet) for emergency restore, and when I
need to do that I boot from DOS boot floppy.  Win2KJP installer CD
insists on installing Win2K on D: (which is labeled as C: of course).

>The answer to all of your problems: http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/

Thank you.  I am looking at it.  So far, I am not convinced (yet) any of
them would work on JP native.  But I will definitely try one of the boot
CD there.

Noel Stoutenburg / 2005/11/05 / 05:39 PM wrote:
>I"ve seen WIN based laptops as low as about 500 USD.  Get her a new
>machine as an early christmas present.
>put FInale on that, and leave the rest for the other stuff that's on it.....

I wish it's that easy, like Mac, which is Unicode native, and making OS
into JP locale is one checkbox away because its a single binary install
like the rest of the world.  Windows is not like that.  If you want true
JP locale, you must install localized Windows, which by the way cost you
$500 because Micor$haft prohibits US reseller to sell non US version in
US and you have to pay for importers.  Nasty business.  Micro$haft
intentionally install half-baked .dll for NT based Windows US version so
they can sell special .dll package to non English users in US, in my
case, they want to sell me what called "Far East Package" which costs
like $300 (last I checked) so I just went to native Win2KJP.

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>