----- Original Message ----- From: "David W. Fenton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <finale@shsu.edu>
Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2005 10:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Finale] data-destroying bug, I've been bitten!

On 19 Nov 2005 at 19:02, Peter Taylor wrote:

I had assumed the different filedates and times
reflected all my various Finale sessions - I would never have guessed
that files are being overwritten.  The issue of deleting files on
closing is another matter - if Finale overwrites it's own temp files
*while they are still in use*, that would provide a plausible
explanation for all manner of peculiar and unpredictable behaviour
we've experienced.

Finale does *not* do this.

Period.

What makes YOU so cock-sure?

If you've never experienced the problems that a large accumulation of temp files can cause then you can't be much of a Finale power-user. You need at least 500 *.tmp files in the folder before you begin to notice any effects and upwards of 700 it starts to cause real problems, maybe you've never got that far. I can assure you I experienced very many strange, apparently unrelated, problems which disappeared when I discovered the trick of deleting the files and, irrespective of whether you've ever experienced them, that is a fact. I thought we'd all agreed on this about 4 years ago.

I have to admit I haven't noticed any problems since about ver 3.0 when I had a slow 486 and Win 3.1, but then again I've been regularly deleting the temp files ever since then, so that kind of proves my point. But anyway, we are talking about Mac problems now.

And I'm quite capable of writing batch files too, thankyou, but I want to see which files I'm proposing to delete before I delete them, so my time-honoured procedure suits me fine.

Peter