I doubt that MM/Finale will become a one platform product. There are too many Windows users for them to drop that, and too many Mac people in areas of activity that use Finale for MM to be viable if they don't serve both markets equally. These people may or may not respond to an individual's needs, but they are not stupid, and they intend to be around for a while.

For reasons that I find hard to integrate into the history of a life that has concentrated on the non-technical/electronic side of music making, I have developed an ongoing friendly relationship with some of the MM people, and with Gary Garritan and Tom Hopkins, who works with him. I have no reason to expect that to change. Some of those people will communicate with me personally, and I value that connection. I don't think for a moment that I am privy to real inside dope, or that I need to be, but MM people will occasionally let me know how their thinking is going, and I have never had so much as an inkling that Macs would be abandoned. Good to be prepared for things, but there are more likely other problems that will occur to us before that one ever does, not the least of which is the sea change in how music is stored/distributed/shared and all the attending issues connected with that. (The Sony discussion.)

On the subject of MM and their support response, I don't think I am betraying any confidences in letting you know that they are converting to a web based system rather than an email based one, and that they intend this change to let them track details and history of complaints w/case numbers etc. in order to improve support. They are in the process of that conversion, and that may explain the somewhat terse responses we (I) have gotten in the recent past. I have also heard that attention in the 2007 version is weighing heavily in the direction of the core use of the music prep side of the program - good news for me, and some of the rest of us. It's probably a good time to keep the feature requests going. I just asked again for the incorporation of Patterson beams into Document Options. Maybe not so many want this, but if it's an easy programming issue, it'd be nice for some.

Just picked up Garritan JABB and am about to install it and begin experimenting. I am far from as thorough a tester as some of you (Darcy, Hiro and others who are more comfortable with computers), but I may represent a kind of naive user, and that may help to provide a good perspective on how it works for many like me.

More as I learn more.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Chuck