>Well, if you think about it, it can't really do that. What if an OS X
>app and a VPC app try to access the same hardware or memory at the
>same time? VPC would always have to be a slave of OS X. Now, it could
>be that Intel underneath OS X could provide enough performance
>improvement to make VPC much snappier, but I don't think there'd ever
>be any real possibility of VPC being able to go direct to the
>hardware, since VPC wouldn't know anything about what OS X is doing.

Has anyone used virtual PC on windows to run a different version of
windows? It's entirely possible. A friend of mine has done it using a
very fast machine with a huge amount of RAM etc. and said the
performance was "Pants". This must be because even in a Win/Win
situation (unintentional pun!) the virtual machine within Virtual PC is
interfacing with a software emulation of a generic graphics card rather
than with the actual graphics card installed in the machine, and I think
the same is true of everything else, VPC probably even pretends to be a
generic BIOS, it's one mammoth abstraction layer even running within the
same architecture.

Sorry Johannes if this is going round and round a bit, having used VPC,
lots of versions of windows, running a red hat web server and having
used dual boot OS9 and OSx into unix and linux, I'm fascinated, and also
NEVER want to have to do it again - all that experimentation taught me a
thing or two about the simple beauty of MacOS, maybe it's not the
fastest or most tweakable system, but it sure is slick!).

--
Simon Troup
Digital Music Art