On Nov 30, 2005, at 2:20 PM, Robert Patterson wrote:

I've racked my brains for *any* solution to the key change problem, workaround or not, but the best I can come up with is doing it manually with meas-attached text exps. Not a very happy solution, but (with appropriate meas-positioning defaults) reasonably reliable once you've placed them.

Actually, my need for a reduced-size cautionary key change was a special case, but one where it would have been very useful to have this level of control.

The change was from five flats to six sharps, with naturals cancelling all the flats. It comes at the end of a page-filling measure full of 64th-notes with accidentals on many of them (because the key is about to change), and I was desperate to gain as much horizontal space as possible simply to make room for all the notes. If I could have reduced the key change to, say, 75% over and above the general system reduction, I would have gained a good half inch. As it is, I eventually made enough room by microscopic beat-chart fiddling, and by fudging the L and R page margins. Hours of work!

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/