David W. Fenton wrote:
I strongly doubt that the policy of requiring a logon was put in place by the designer of the website. It's quite clearly a management directive, one that is ridiculous, and makes it less likely that people will avail themselves of the free service it provides.

And I can't help but read into the logon requirement the idea that this is precisely what they intended.

Perhaps. But providing a free service doesn't mean it costs them nothing. There's also a 'postcode enquiry' telephone number, which isn't free. Do you object to that as well, if that's also a deterrent to massive usage of it?

I'm torn. On the one hand I can see that the website's registration requirements are way out of line with the service provided. On the other hand, we're all making assumptions one way or another about what decisions were made. I agree, however, that an overbearing management is quite likely to be in part responsible for an unweildly website provision.