Andrew,

Given the keysig, is there any evidence that the composer had originally spelled that chord as Fb but decided to simplify to E later? (I'm assuming that you're working off a manuscript) If so, the F in Bsn II could have the flat missing...possible??
Jim

Nice theory, but this composer (Lejaren Hiller) just likes being harmonically perverse. He even writes atonal stuff with key signatures--and in remote keys, too. As you might imagine, he tends to have lots of accidental and transposition errors, wh. is what made me question this note in the first place.

Anyway, after posting my query, I found the answer, since it turns out the trombones reinforce the bn-2 note toward the end of the two measures--so what it's supposed to be is a minor harmonic irritant that later becomes a prominent part of the chord.

--Andrew