Raymond Horton wrote:

>... but I
>do face a huge project in which I have done hundreds of changes to an
>orchestral work that has already been performed.  I'm not looking
>forward to re-extracting the parts, but I have no other choice. The >old parts will help save time, but it will still take days. I will >welcome the future dynamic linking, (or however the score-part >connection will work) with an open checkbook.

Ken Moore wrote:

In case there is anyone who hasn't thought of this already: a poor relation of dynamic linking, but better than re-extracting in some circumstances* is to make the corrections in the score and then, part by part, copy a whole stave and paste it into the laid-out part.

* e.g. no deletions or insertions of measures, but even with dynamic linking that will ruin the layout of some parts.

I've done that sort of thing before, certainly, but this one project is more involved - some instruments that did not play in whole sections of the old version of the work do in the new version, etc. (So dynamic linking would change the layout, too, in those parts, but in the others it wouldn't.) The cut-and-paste method can be risky, (i.e. one can miss things) and probably slower than re-extracting in this case.

RBH