On 18.12.2005 Darcy James Argue wrote:
Well, that's moving the goalposts! Obviously, it's faster to not bother with GPO in the Setup Wizard if you don't care about GPO! I was talking about the fastest way to set up orchestral GPO playback for someone who actually *wants* to use GPO. Otherwise, what is the point of this conversation? Obviously, if GPO playback is unimportant to you, you can set up your score any way you like! But if GPO playback is important to you, then you're usually much better going through the Setup Wizard, warts and all. And the more instruments you have in your score, the greater the advantages.

Darcy,
I am not moving goal posts. When I set up my score I want to deal with setting up my score. I actually don't want to think about whether the Gagliano violin sounds better on the first violin part, or whether perhaps the Guanerius would be better.

That doesn't mean I won't think about that later. But then I will have to load instruments anyway.

The way it works at the moment, the instant I leave the wizard I have to wait for GPO to finish loading. I then deactivate GPO. When I finally playback the score I have to reload them anyway.

When I set up my score I am only concerned with notation. GPO, at that stage, only takes extra time, which at that time I am not willing to spend, since things might change too much in the course of working with the score. It is time wasted. Later on I will concern myself with playback if I need it, and then the extra time needed is a necessary evil, but on the whole the way I work I save time. If only for the times I forgot to deactivate before saving, and then having to wait and play with the mouse the next time that whole orchestra loads into the computer, taking several minutes...

Johannes

--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de