On Dec 23, 2005, at 8:05 PM, John Bell wrote:

Christopher Smith wrote:

Assuming 4/4...

If you select the time signature tool, double click the first measure, and click More Options, you can have 4/4 display while Finale thinks it is in 2/2. Then beaming will be to the half note by default. The only problem with this is that Finale will only display two slashes per bar instead of four when Slash Notation staff style is applied.

If instead of doing this, you select the relevant passages with Mass Edit Tool and select Rebeam to Time Signature, and choose 2/2, you will get the beaming you require  and the number of slashes in Slash Notation will be unaffected. Also, this way you can rebeam only some staves if that's what you need.

Umm, yes I said that at the end of my answer, just before the "now see here, young man" lecture. Glad to see someone else agrees with me that doing it afterwards is better than having it happen by default (assuming one WANTS beaming in that way, that is!)

Christopher