Hello Finale listers.

Having just upgraded to FinMac 2006b, I'm going through my occasional ritual of revisiting and tweaking my default files, and-yes-working my way through all the menus of the parts of the program I use, taking note of new features and comparing my defaults with Ross, Stone and Read et al.

After all these years, I've noticed something about the vertical spacing of augmentation dots on 32nd, 64th and 128th rests (no, I don't use the last-named often, but one likes to be thorough). Why didn't I spot it earlier...?

According to Ross and Read, the augmentation dots on these rests are in the wrong place; they ought to be in the top space. I can't see any document-wide option for adding a vertical offset to the augmentation dots on just these rests to correct them (yes, I know; they can be altered individually using special tools). It would be good if the Document Option for augmentation dots had another textbox; "vertical offset for dots on 32nd rests and smaller" or similar. Or am I just missing something?

In the 'Notes and Rests' Document Option they do allow a vertical offset for (e.g.) the 64th and 128th rests which allows their top hooks to be placed in the top space-as recommended by Ross and Read-so it would make sense to allow the augmentation dots to follow the top hook.

Another thing I've noticed-and this is more a feature request for Tobias Giesen than anything else-is that while I can offset the horizontal positioning of accidentals on notes with ledger lines with TG Tools (and am very grateful that I can) I'd really like to have a different offset just for flats on spaces above the staff...

In the meantime I can just hope that Finale will one day allow different tie settings for notes on spaces and lines... Robert Patterson's Tie Mover is a great tool, but the fundamental problem remains.

Cheers

Jim

James Gardner

director, 175 East