On 4 Jan 2006 at 23:41, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

> But my point, to repeat, is that the program should make these
> straightforward features clear without needing help files or manuals.
> Force a choice, for example, with a radio button ([move notes to
> transposed position] [copy notes to transposed position]) or provide a
> hover popup as Tobias does.(transposes notes only and deletes original
> notes; transposes notes and also keeps original in place). That's just
> an improv on it. A test group would help clarify it.

I agree that the functionality should be "user discoverable" instead
of requiring going to the manuals.

But the question is: where does the functionality I needed belong in
the program? It seemed like a "Composer's Assistant" kind of feature
to me, so I first looked in the plug-ins.

I understand why it's convenient to put the function in the
transposition dialog, since it's a place to hang the feature on, and
one that is easy to use once you know it's there.

But it really isn't what I'd call a transposition function, and
that's the problem -- there is nothing logical from a *musical* point
of view that makes it obvious that this is where the function
belongs.

I don't know where it should be.

I do know that the transposition dialog is not a place that would
come to mind intuitively.