In a message dated 1/4/06 6:35:47 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Anyone remember Electronic Art's Music Construction Set? Must have been
EARLY 1980's. I had it for Commodore64 (Yes that's 64 Kilobytes, except half
of it was used for the operating system.) But at least it ran at the
blinding speed of 1MHz! I also wrote my own version in 6502 Assembler that
made hard copies by printing out the screen display (144 pixels per inch). I
thought it was pretty cool.

Richard Yates

Hi Richard,
I'm pretty sure that's the program I used to write "Beatles for Classical Guitar" in 1987. I thought it was called "Deluxe Music Construction Set" (maybe I had the fancy version, but I don't think  so - it only cost $50). If anyone wants to see the output, by the way, the book is still in print, and you can look inside it at Amazon. Its a little embarrassing to me, because it looks so amateurish. But, it was my first attempt at computer music writing, and Hal Leonard excepted it pretty much as is. If Finale existed then, I sure didn't have it. As far as using the program, I remember that anything over two voices in one staff was a real nightmare, if not impossible, and that there was no way to blank out the left bar line. With guitar, of course, I only used one staff. I can't imagine the problems someone would have had if they used it for larger scores.
Larry Beekman
Larry Beekman Guitar Studio
www.larrybeekman.com