On 5 Jan 2006 at 12:48, Eric Dannewitz wrote:

> Per my last email, it does belong where it is. I'd say if you polled
> all the people on here, or any musician, it makes perfect sense to
> have transpose and a check box to keep the notes there.

It may make sense to have that feature there in the transpose dialog,
but it does *not* make sense to *me* for that to be the only way to
accomplish octave doubling. That is, as an adjunct to transposition,
it's useful. But that's the tail wagging the dog, where an addition
to one function defines the only context in which the task can be
accomplished, and its a context that is not logically associated with
the task I was seeking to accomplish, which was merely doubling at
the octave (no transposition involved, since the original notes
remained in the same octave).

> Why would I want things in multiple places? . . .

Because one task is logically associated with more than one other
task?

> . . . I don't see how that would
> be a help. . . .

It would be a huge help. There are plenty of areas in Finale where
there's a single feature or setting accessible from more than one
location.

> . . . I think of Finale as a tool. A powerful tool. I have to
> learn how to "play" the tool. I don't expect my instrument to play
> itself, nor do I expect Finale to do my music for me. I want Finale to
> do what I tell it to do. I think Sibelius is more geared towards your
> "making it easier" approach. Not that it is bad or anything.

This all looks like irrelevant blather to me -- completely
nonresponsive to the topic.

You haven't demonstrated anything. You've only asserted your case.
That's pretty non-persuasive from someone who already knew the
answer.

> But back to this transpose thing. I can't think of a place OTHER than
> Transpose where one would look if they wanted to shift notes up and
> octave and keep the existing notes. . . .

BUT THAT ISN'T WHAT I WANTED TO DO.

I wanted to add an octave doubling.

That is *not* at all the same thing.

You keep conceptualizing my task IN FINALE'S TERMS because you
already know how to do it in Finale.

I didn't know how Finale's design conceptualizes the task I neededt
to perform, and my own conception of my task has nothing in common
with the Finale implementation of that task.

> . . . The musician in me is screaming
> "that is a transpose thing"

It is if you predefine the task to match Finale's implementation.

If you define it in purely musical terms, there is no transposition
going on at all, as the original notes remain in the same location --
you are just adding notes an octave away.

Sorry, but that isn't transposition, except in the narrow sense that
Finale has implemented it as an aspect of transposition.