Some years ago, I did try it using a chord library. I got it as far as being able to play the chords and Finale getting the right numbers. However, creating the figures in chord edit was quite a pain i. t. a...

The bright side was that Finale would actually play the chords back, but since figured bass notation is very "relative" related to the key signature, e. g. 6 can mean major or minor, I run into a lot of troubles.

It would be very nice to get some kind of assistant that allows you to play the chords and get the right numbers, wouldn't it. And play them back as you played it afterwards. I guess this could be possible if anyone would do the library.

Multiple figurings were not a problem, but correct spacing and special "+" crossings were difficult.

However, if you do it all the time, lyrics might be faster, and I don't see much troubles with lying bass notes. Just input a second layer and hide it, and let the lyrics snap to the hided notes.

The problems with lyrics may be the vertical centering of the figures. I mean, when you do more complicated pieces like Bach's mass in b minor, you may get from one to three, (even four?) numbers, and that might be difficult to space.

How about a seperate "Figured Bass" tool that does everything? I guess it's time Finale should concentrate on notation instead of playback and sequencer functions...

Kurt