On 7 Jan 2006 at 8:28, dhbailey wrote:

> don't like ctrl-s for save?  Change it to whatever you want.  Hate
> using the numeric-keypad for selecting note values?  Change them.  I
> recently discovered that (my new year's resolution was to get to know
> Sibelius better) and I simply assigned the same number keys that
> Finale uses so I can use what is basically a Sibelius-version of
> Finale's speedy entry.
>
> I think that if Finale were to add this feature we would be able to
> avoid this ongoing discussion about intuitive user interface, as we
> make our own interface which would presumably be intuitive to us as
> individuals.

What a ludicrous suggestion!

You can't fix a bollixed up UI design by adding keyboard shortcuts!

You have to find the features to be able to create a shortcut, and I
don't have any *need* for a keyboard shortcut to the feature I was
looking for. Indeed, there isn't any possible keyboard shortcut that
could fix the problem, as all a shortcut could ever do is launch the
transposition dialog. To set up such a shortcut, I'd have to know
what I didn't know, that what I needed was implemented as part of
transposition.

So keyboard shortcuts DON'T AMELIORATE THE PROBLEM ONE BIT.

While it would certainly be nice to have user-definable keyboard
shortcuts beyond the existing metatools, such a feature could never
solve problems of bad UI design. In fact, it would only solve one UI
problem, and that's giving quick access to those features that are
several menu commands deep into the UI. Finale is already much better
about that than it used to be, and most of the remaining such nooks
and crannies couldn't be short-circuited, anyway (how, exactly, could
you short circuit the path to the shape designer dialog, one of the
most annoying of the features buried several layers deep in the UI?).

But the kind of problem represented by doubling and "keep original
notes" feature is not fixable by the mere layering on of keyboard
shortcuts.

Architectural problems can't fixed with a new coat of paint.