I have been using SharpEye (and MusicXML) for several years now. It works just fine given the peculiarities of sheet music. I have scanned many choral scores. Some scan almost faultlessly, others can be somewhat problematic. As with OCR, you will likely never achieve perfection – but damn good is good enough for me. I usually edit/repair them in Finale. Occasionally I find scores (old Xeroxes, for example) that are not worth the effort to scan, but that’s relatively rare.

SharpEye is simple, robust and affordable.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Barbara Levy
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2006 3:00 PM
To: finale@shsu.edu
Subject: [Finale] Music scanning software

Hello!

I just resubscribed to this list after a long hiatus, so if this topic came up recently and was beaten to smithereens, please forgive me!

I've been using the trial version of Sharpeye ver. 2 to scan music into Finale to put onto CD's -- specifically, solo and piano parts for my students so they can listen to their solos with accompaniment.  Sharpeye seems to be quite good at this task, but, before I shell out the $$$ for the registered version, is there other music scanning software I should consider?  One thing I should point out -- I'm not part of a big commercial concern that can shell out thousands of dollars;  Sharpeye is attractive to me because of its less than $200.00 price tag.  Private music teachers simply aren't rich people!

Many thanks!

Barb