Dean M. Estabrook wrote:

I can just hear Dick Clark's kids giving it a 10, because it has a beat and you can dance to it.

(Probably dating myself)

From discussions I've had mith my nieces and nephews and their contemporaries, most of the music fans now want the same thing they wanted 50 years ago - something they could dance to. The percentage that actually gives a damn about the musicality of the piece are few and far between.

For most people, music is background sound, or just a beat.

If you listen to the music of most available generations (the last 100 years) and then talk to the people who lived then, a lot of the emphasis was just on "something to dance to." Glenn Miller and AWB were different only in the details - they were just a beat you could dance to with sometimes a nominal melody. Only the great stuff transcends generations.

And the less than great stuff is often less than pure joy to play.

But that's just my take.

cd