"David W. Fenton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Unfortunately, it seems that the reaction I've
> provoked among some is to the wrong thing, the style rather than the
> content. This may be a defect in my writing or it may be a defect in
> the comprehension of the readers.

Early users of the internet discovered that, in the absence of tone of voice and body language, facetious messages could easily be misinterpreted and contentious ones generate much stronger reactions than were intended by the authors. I frequently read exchanges, here and elsewhere, confirming this. We should all bear it in mind when contributing to this list.

--
Ken Moore
Musician and engineer