On 31 Jan 2006 at 3:33, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> (Upthread, someone mentioned that the Mac standard is 72 dpi, which
> hasn't been true for many years now. DPI varies considerably from
> model to model, especially in the notebook line.)

It's the base standard for web browser font rendering, so I'd assume
there's still something about the implementation that is still tied
to a set of parameters about the size of fonts. The fact remains that
in default setups, Mac fonts display larger onscreen than Windows
fonts by about the ratio of 72:96.

Certainly there's plenty of variation on Windows machines, too,
because of varying resolutions, but at whatever resolution you set
your graphics card, when you go to set the base font size, Windows
says that you're using 96dpi.

But, of course, either way, it's the programmer's responsibility to
get the parameters from the OS and set the size of objects onscreen
in a rational fashion. This should mean that at 100%, the ruler
should be a real inch onscreen, seems to me.