If you want to hear an extreme version of sounding better on record than live, listen to our recording of the Morton Gould viola concerto. The soloist, who name I, and everyone else, has forgotten, had dug up the piece that Morton had written back in 1940 or so and forgotten. Said violist played the first movement wth piano somewhere and Morton either heard it or heard about it. Somehow, Morton suggested him to record it with us as part of our Gould recording project. Problem was, the guy couldn't QUITE play the piece (he couldn't quite COUNT!). At the (pre-digital) recording session, we did just the ending something like 20 times. Our producer, Andy Kazdin of Columbia records, has since been quoted as saying that editing the resulting product was his greatest career accomplisment.

In 1954, I was in the MIT orchestra, playing the bass for the first time, since there were many cellists and no bass players. Andy Kazdin was the timpanist in the orchestra. Neither of us completed our MIT careers. Andy has since worked with my brother on some Live from Lincoln Center broadcasts.

Chuck

This is a man who worked with everyone from Glenn Gould on down! Anyway, Kazdin told me that it was somewhat of an ethical delimma for him - in his words "This guy will probably get jobs from this recording."

But at least he didn't dress like this:

http://www.ahntrio.com/projects.html

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace