On Feb 1, 2006, at 12:08 PM, Phil Daley wrote:

In it's "strictest" sense:
con·tem·po·rar·y
adj. Belonging to the same period of time: a fact documented by two contemporary sources. Of about the same age. Current; modern: contemporary trends in design.

Your ideas of what "contemporary" means are undocumented.

Oh come off it. I was clearly using the last of the senses cited above. Note that it says "current; modern," but in music these are not synonyms. Hovhaness is modern, but he is certainly not current, either by pure chronology or by style. That's all I was saying, and it fits the dictionary def. perfectly.

As I think you know perfectly well.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/