I believe the original poster was referring to NIFF, not to MusicXML. What
became of NIFF, if anything? Is MusicXML some outgrowth of NIFF?
Jim

________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Michael Good
Sent: Sun 12-Feb-06 15:03
To: finale@shsu.edu
Subject: [Finale] Re: Encore imports

Hi Linda and John,

> BUT, will 2006 import the shiny new Encore files?

No, Finale 2006 will not import files from Encore 4.5 and later.
Finale has not changed its Encore importer in years, since the base of
Encore users has declined so much. Instead Finale has focusrf on
ever-improving MusicXML support for file transfer needs. Since MIDI is
not working, your main options are 1) print from Encore and scan into
Finale, and 2) re-enter it all into Finale from scratch. Given your
expertise with Finale, and that (I believe) you're working on a Mac,
re-entry may work better.

> And of course it was Coda's decision not to support an
> industry-wide standard for filesharing that's the source
> of your troubles, Linda, not Encore at all.

I think you are assigning the blame unfairly here, John. Coda was the
first large notation software company to adopt the MusicXML format by
incorporating it into Finale. The problem with the file transfer is
with Encore and GVOX, who have so far stuck with their proprietary
format without providing any option for effective score interchange.

If you want Encore to support MusicXML file interchange, please write
GVOX and let them know. In the meantime, I wouldn't upgrade from a
version that has limited file transfer capabilities to a version that
has no options beyond MIDI and print/scan - unless of course you need
the operating system compatibility addressed in the current version.

Best regards,

Michael Good
Recordare LLC
www.recordare.com