On Feb 13, 2006, at 10:20 AM, Christopher Smith wrote:

It was also hard not to make everything REALLY BIG AND LOUD, which is my weakness.

This just reminds me of an old recording I heard a few times (cannot find it now - though I haven't searched extensively) of Sousa Marches - played under the direction of his descendants. It was so much lighter and more transparent than the versions with which we are familiar that it sounded almost Mozartean. Part of this was a result of scoring (fewer instruments per section) and part from interpretation. Mark your score "Non-Bombastico"!

Don't rely overly much on the sample playback. They do not react as real players do at all, especially to technical challenges, and will give you a terrible estimate of balance.

Amen to this. I don't know if this is a fault of samples in general, or of the particular built in balances in the ones I use (mostly Garritan Jazz), but I have a template with my own guesses about mixer settings. They are better than the defaults (for me) but still not right, and they do not react as living people do. Even inexperienced students have more flexible reactions than the samples.

Advice to Jim - have fun!

Chuck

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace