On 16 Feb 2006 at 14:41, Andrew Stiller wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2006, at 5:04 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > The reason I use the term "voodoo" is because the stereotypical
> > example of voodoo is sticking pins in a doll that represents a
> > person in order to hurt the person the doll represents. That
> > practice represents a belief that doing one thing will cause
> > something to happen that is different and operates on a different
> > object.
>
> Leaving aside the question of whether that is a valid characterization
> of Voodoo as a religion, . . .

I recognize that my definition of "voodoo" is mostly the conventional
stereotype that is found in mid-20th-century movies and TV shows, and
that it really has almost nothing to do with the real religion.

> . . . I feel compelled to point out that sticking
> pins in a doll to hurt someone represented by the doll *works* quite
> reliably (as do other forms of curse), if the person under attack
> believes that such curses are effective. . . .

Of course, the person under attack has to *know* that they are under
attack for their belief to kick in, which leaves us pretty much where
we started -- depending on shared beliefs in that which is not
evident or clear, instead of just going with what is unambiguous in
the first place.

> . . . In the case of exaggerated
> dynamics, the analogy is perfect: if the performer understands what
> the composer means, then the desired result will be obtained. The
> purpose of language is communication, and if communication is
> achieved, no further justification is required.

If you understand that when I say "I hate you" I actually mean "I
love you" then, well, there's no breakdown in communication.

But how much easier to simply say what I mean in the first place,
rather than depending on nudge-nudge-wink-wink-you-understand-what-I-
really-mean.

I think it's much easier to say what you mean literally and let
people interpret it transparently than it is to use a "metaphorical"
utterance and hope that people understand what you're getting at by
using the metaphor.