Where has anyone come across a bass passage printed loco (except in a C
score, of course)?  It's non-standard.  Even harmonics should be written
to be sounding 8ba.

Bass players, in order to cover all the available solo and orchestral
literature,  have to learn treble and tenor clefs, both sounding 8ba.
They usually prefer treble, but tenor passages are out there, also.
Alto clef should not be used.  It's really that simple.

They still have it easier than trombonists, who have four clefs
to read!

Raymond Horton
Lee Actor wrote:

Ray, how often have you encountered treble clef on trombone?  I'm scratching
my head but can't recall seeing it, though I understand that trombone is
sometimes written as a transposing instrument in treble clef in British band
music.  Or am I wrong in assuming that you were referring to treble clef as
the fourth trombone clef after bass, tenor, and alto?

Lee Actor
Composer-in-Residence and Assistant Conductor, Palo Alto Philharmonic
http://www.leeactor.com

Treble clef (concert pitch, non-8va) is used for tenor and bass trombone fairly often for upper register by contemporary composers - John Adams to name one. We've seen it dozens of times in the Louisville Orchestra.

Treble Clef in Bb (down a 9th) is handy, also, (not in orchestra unless reading a band chart that's missing the bass clef parts) but most non-British trombonists read that as tenor clef plus two flats. (I actually started on treble clef euphonium, so I came to it from the other direction, too, but I'm an exception.)

RBH