On Feb 18, 2006, at 4:15 PM, Bob Florence wrote:

On Feb 18, 2006, at 2:47 PM, eshbmusic1 wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to get a C with a slash through it to represent cut time in Word without changing fonts? I imagine there is a diacritical I could get on the international keyboard, but just don't know which one or how to enter it.
Thanks!

The above question leads me to another.
If the time is 4/4 and you want it to become 2/2, use can use the C with a line through it. In 3/4, is there any sign to show when you are going from 3/4 to twice as fast which would be in 1. I have a trombone player friend who always mars his parts with 3/4 with a line through it. This is a difficult question. I hope I've made it clear.

Eeesh. I, for one, would not know what to make of 3/4 with a line through it. I certainly wouldn't immediately think it was twice as fast as a previous 3/4, in fact, I might even think it was three times as fast.

I would probably write some indication (as was previously discussed quite recently on this list) such as

(that is, "previous dotted quarter equals new dotted half")

or simply "Double tempo."

For sure, you have to be certain that it is impossible to misinterpret. A slashed 3/4 would certainly be interpreted differently by different musicians, so I would not use it.

Christopher