On 19 Feb 2006 at 2:16, A-NO-NE Music wrote:

> Ken Moore / 2006/02/18 / 05:06 PM wrote:
>
> >I never met that outside the context of an OS command line interface.
> > Isn't it confined to UNIX? I see that in MS DOS the ">" character is
> > called "pipe", because it performs the same function as the UNIX
> >"|".
>
> I don't think so.
> In DOS prompt, 'dir | more', it's a PIPE as long as I remember.  Of
> course DOS was a Unix CUI wannabe :-)

I honestly don't think DOS has any direct "genetic" relation to Unix
CLI in its design, except perhaps through Q-DOS (the product that
Microsoft purchased), which was something of a knock-off of CPM,
another personal computer OS from the late 70s.

A commandline interface was the only interface to any OS before the
widespread use of a GUI, so any OS would have had it at that time.
Since OS's all have a number of things in common in terms of tasks
that a user needs to perform, all CLI's are going to be pretty much
equivalent in the functionality they provide (insofar as the
different OS's support those features; DOS lacked a lot of things
that Unix, even the Unix of the late 70s, offered). Given how
different the command names are in DOS, I don't see any real direct
line back to Unix at all, expecially given that many of the functions
are not mapped one-to-one onto the differently-named-but-equivalent
commands.

> I believe both DOS and U/Linux reserves '>' char for output.

I am familiar with referring to the > as a redirector, as in:

  copy c:\*.* d:\ >copy.txt

That redirects the console output of the copy command to the file
"copy.txt".

  copy c:\*.* d:\ >>copy.txt

The doubling up appends the output to any existing file (as opposed
to creating the file anew each time, replacing any existing file
bythat name), or creates the file for the first time.

The other symbol, <, can also be used, to redirect output into a
command. I can't remember an example of that, as it was a fairly
exotic thing to attempt back when I was a wiz at writing DOS files.

The pipe symbol, |, (and yes, that's the term I've always used for it
among geeks, but use the term "vertical bar" when dealing with non-
geeks; it's a useful character for use in constructing hard-to-crack
passwords) is for redirecting output between programs, as in:

  dir *.* | more

That take the output of the directory listing command and pipes it
through the "more" program, which splits the output into screens and
puts a "--more--" at the end, to, I guess, suggest that you strike
the spacebar to get the next screen. I never realized it, but there
are only a few keystrokes that MORE responds to (these are outlined
in the help for it, reached at the command prompt by typing "more
/?").

Of course, I'm not really checking DOS, but the NT command prompt.
However, the NT command prompt is, so far as I know, 100% backwardly
compatible with DOS, though many commands have expanded
functionality.

But so far as I can see, the behaviors of |, > and < have not been
changed.