Aaron, I specified earlier, WINfin 2k earlier, but not when I wrote Sherber:

>That's what I thought.  Problem is, I can't remember how to hide the
>layer so that it plays back.

While I appreciate your suggestion,

Options | Document Options | Layers. For your designated playback layer, check 'Hide layer when inactive' and 'Playback', and uncheck 'Affects music spacing.'

this does not work in 2k, the version my client is using. I thought I remembered a way to do it in 2k, but I've lost the file, and I'm beginning to think that maybe I was mistaken. As I mentioned, my friend generally follows the maxim, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and this may finally be what persuades him that, if 2k is not broke, it's not up to the task any more, either, and it's time to upgrade. Remembering how much handholding I did with 2k, I'm not sure this is an entirely good thing.

ns