On Mar 6, 2006, at 9:16 PM, Adam Taylor wrote:

'senzillo' would be pronounced "Sehn-see-yoh" or, in Castellano "sen-thee-yoh" because the castillian dialect differentiates between the spelling "s" and "Z" (in Central and South America, they are pronounced the same) and the "Z" phoneme is pronounced as a TH in "with".

Actually, in Castilian, it would be pronounced "sen-thee-lyo." Admittedly, the Latin-American pronunciation in wh. there is no difference betw. ll and y is making inroads in Spain itself, but the original, special pronunciation of ll is the reason why it is considered a single letter.

This brings up a further question though: I was taught that rr is also considered a single letter. So: "pe-rro cos-ta-rri-cen-se"? I confess that looks odd to me.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/