Think of it as a partition that is nearly as big as the drive itself...a "room within a room" if you will only you need a key (password) to get into the inner room. When you mount the thumb drive on the desktop and then double click on it, you'll see another disk image on your thumb drive. Double click on the other image and you will be prompted for a password. Then, that image will also mount on the desktop. So you will have two images on the desktop at that point. Anything you drag into the encrypted image will be password protected.

Maybe someone else on the list knows how to create these images on Windows. (Sorry, I don't know much about Windows...just the basics of running certain programs)

On a Mac, you use Apple's Disk Utility to do this.

Or you can have Automator create one for you:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/automator/ creatediskimagefromfiles.html

Again, sorry Dennis that I'm not more of a help with doing this on Windows...can anyone else on the list explain how to do this on a Windows machine?

Best,

Karen