Hi All,

This is not strictly Finale related, but this seems like a very knowledgeable group to get some advice from. I was recently sent a job description for some music arranging and typesetting services. In general, I only do engraving work, so I'm not too familiar with the legalities surrounding arrangements. Basically, the contract is from a composer to arrange and engrave 12 of his own works. What set of some alarm bells for me is the following statement in his email:

The arrangement would become the property of the composer.

Is this a usual requirement? Does this mean that I am essentially signing away any claim to this arrangement (i.e. the composer will not need to credit me, nor obtain my permission to use, alter or perform it)? It seems to me that the composer is looking for someone else to do his work for him and still retain ownership, but maybe I'm just not aware of how this sort of thing usually works. He is offering union rates.

Any advice?  Thanks very much.

Best,
Scott