At 3:17 PM -0500 3/13/06, David W. Fenton wrote:

The confusion is in calling it a "choral symphony," which it categorically is not. It is an opera overture repurposed as a
symphony, and I don't know that there is any evidence at all that it
was ever performed as a symphony with the opening chorus as a 3rd
movement, especially given that Mozart composed an instrumental
Finale to go with the first two movements (K. 111a; the finale of the
symphony as numbered K120 in the first Köchel catalog, not having
been recognized as comprising a symphony when combined with the first
two instrumental movements from the opera).

Please ignore previous email. David's information answers my questions, and both K 111 and K120 are indeed listed in New Grove I, but not under Symphonies.

Agreed on all counts, this was neither terribly unusual nor in any way a "Choral Symphony," since he saw fit to compose a different 3rd movement that was instrumental. As to the kid's age, he could write better music at 15 than most composers at 60!

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music