dc wrote:

dhbailey écrit:

Before jumping to conclusions about whether that really is a ligature or is actually simply two characters kerned too closely so they appear in the eps as a ligature, I would suggest that some other letter combinations be added to verse 2 and 3 and 4, right beneath the fi of the example, for instance: fe and ft and fl and fd so that there are varying examples of the f to look at, and that it should also be looked at under great magnification.

I'm not convinced it's a true ligature.

Where would the dot over the i be. Compare the i of the fi with that of is. This is certainly a ligature.

Dennis

It looks to me as if the two characters are kerned too close together so that the dot is printed as an extension of the top hook of the f.

But this can be tested quite easily by changing the font used to one in which we can be certain there are no ligatures built-in.

--
David H. Bailey