Phil Daley wrote:

2.  I take an SATB choral piece and arrange it for TTBB.

I'll propose an answer to this, but would first not the the distinction between copyright--the right to control the reproduce the physical medium upon which the music is carried, either the paper of the score, of the disk or tape of the sound recording--and performance rights, which is the right to control who performs a work, and to be compensated by those who do through the payment of royalties. Under U.S. copyright law, there is an explicit exemption which provides that music used in a worship service is exempt from the payment of performance royalties. There is no exemption from copyright, so that music sung in a church service must be sung from legitimately acquired copies. If you own sufficieint copies of the SATB choral piece for the entire choir, and arrange it by telling some of the basses to mark their copies so that they sing the alto line down an octave, and some of the tenors do the same, and sing the soprano line down an octave, there is no copyright violation involved. No matter how many changes you (or choristers at your direction) make by indicating them on legitimately purchased copies, there is no copyright violation, because the copies upon which the changes are designated are legitimate. If however, the work is subject to copyright, and you make your arrangement by writing it out on a new copy, then there is a copyright violation if you have not previously been granted the permission to make the arrangement.

disclaimer: I am not an attorney in any jurisdiction. The statements above, while an accurate report of my informed opinion, are not intended as legal advice, and should not be relied on as such.

ns

There is no copyright violation involved however much you might arrange the work