Eric's answer works, but ONLY if there is actually a note in the first ending, too. If there is no note in the first ending, nothing will happen.

To force Finale to show it correctly, you can put a normal tie at the end of the first ending, then manually edit it with the Special Tools to shorten it and disconnect it from the note in the second ending.

For the second ending, if Eric's solution is not applicable, you can put a tie starting ON the note in the second ending, then reverse it using the Special Tool. If there is already a tied note starting the second ending (as already has happened to me!) then you will have to reverse the first tie, then reverse the second tie, etc., until you come to an untied note. Or you can enter a slur and adjust the curve to look like a tie.

You could also drop a note to tech support asking for the backward tie to ALWAYS work, whether or not there is a first or second ending, with or without notes in the preceding measure. There is no reason for this feature to be so restrictive.

Christopher.