In a message dated 4/1/06 1:01:24 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
From: "Robert C L Watson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Finale] music literacy
> ...Thus, one might reasonably say that the parlato songs in The Music Man
are a form of rap ... <
Nope. They came long before rap.  And their origins are G&S patter songs and
Noel Coward.  >>

The G&S patter songs are just that, songs: the patter is a line of tones,
though so fast that it may sound sometimes like rapid speech. They could be
played on a (pitched) musical instrument. The little I've heard of Noel Coward
songs sounded spoken, but I wonder if they were written down in-pitch, but
performed in his breathy conversational delivery... The Music Man had
"rap-like"
passages (i.e. parts of "You've Got Trouble") which led to fully pitched-tone
cadences as the climax...
-Steve
NYC